Frozen Orbs - Their Eternal Use
I believe that I might start taking a look into the past every Friday to find something from past expansions that is worth sharing and that may bring you a little extra coin. These things might be new to some of you, or maybe a reminder of something we've forgotten about. Today's topic is the frozen orb and how it will likely have a use in current content for years to come.
What is a Frozen Orb?
Frozen Orbs are items used in many Wrath of the Lich King crafting patterns. They drop from the last boss of any Wrath Heroic Dungeon. Farming them may not be worth your time, but they do appear fairly frequently on the Auction House. Their appearance on the Auction House is mainly the result of high level players doing Wrath Heroic Dungeons for transmog items or for the purpose of grinding out reputation such as the Alliance Vanguard, for the mekgineer's chopper pattern.
I don't want to make any Wrath gear, so why should I care about these?
Let me introduce you (a reaquaintance for some) to Frozo the Renowned. He was implemented in Patch 3.3.3 to assist in alleviating players of the immense supply of Frozen Orbs that no one wanted anymore. He is located behind the Magus Commerce Exchange in Dalaran. He accepts Frozen Orbs to trade for Runic Orbs, Crusader Orbs, Eternals, and Frost Lotuses. I don't know what this guy does with all the orbs he gets, but that's not the point. I normally pick up Eternals from him with the goal of creating a Mekgineer's Chopper. This is probably the best way to get the most amount of money from your Frozen Orbs. If you don't have an Engineer or the starting capital to invest in making a chopper, you can still buy up some orbs for cheap and trade them in for the most expensive Eternal and sell those on the Auction House.
Processing Frozen Orbs into a mount.
1. Buy out the Frozen Orbs that are cheaper than the Eternals you need.
2. Buy up some cheap Arctic Fur and keep a nice stock of it on your engineer.
3. Send some Cobalt Bars to your engineer and make Cobalt Bolts. (Buy the bolts or ore if they are cheaper)
4. Use a ring to teleport yourself to Dalaran or get a Mage to port you. (Keep a toon in Dalaran for even more convenience)
5. Trade in your orbs for the most expensive Eternal (normally Eternal Fire)
6. Figure out which is cheaper to obtain, Titanium Bars or Saronite Bars (search Titansteel Bar on TUJ, it will tell you which way is cheapest.) Ore you can go mine the mats you need prior to purchasing extra Eternals. (see what I did there?)
7. Transmute the Saronite Bars into Titanium Bars and smelt the Titanium Bars and eternals into Titansteel Bars
8. Get your Engineer to K-3 in Storm Peaks and pick up the required vendor materials
9. Make the Mekgineer's Chopper and sell it for profit.
Now that mounts are account bound, wouldn't it be harder to sell the mount?
Actually, no, it won't be. New content continues to bring new players to the game. As time goes on, more people get around to saving and/or making gold and will be looking for places to spend their hard earned gold. It's a good thing for them that you'll be there to help them get rid of it :) I have stopped doing this because I simply forgot all about it (time to pick it back up again). When I'm in full swing I usually sell 1 mount per week. It's a nice additional 4-5 thousand gold profit every week for some very minimal work, provided that I purchase all of the materials. You can better economize your time spent on this by making multiple mounts at once, but it requires a large investment just for the vendor materials alone (12500g per mount). In the meantime you can be watching the auction house using a dealfinding list to snatch up the materials you'll need to craft more mounts once you've depleted your stock. Try barking in trade chat while you are posting your auctions, newer players might not even be aware that the chopper exists. Some players may have forgotten that they want one. Make a barking macro and be creative with it.
My macro that generates the most chatter and sales goes something like this:
"Cruise the Isle of Thunder in style with this shiny new two person Mekgineer's Chopper. Go pantless for that extra breeze! Get yours now for only xxxxx gold!"
Good luck and happy mounting!